Second Team Match Reports

Match Reports 2018-2019 Season - Second XV

BoS II 86 Martock 0

On a relatively windless and dry day the BoS IIs strode out to face a travelling Martock side who they drew with 0-0 earlier in the season. Today was always going to be different with the IIs fielding an exciting team filled with experience and youth.

From the kick off BoS took the game to the visitors and on the stroke of five minutes scored through good handling and some great strong running for Eoghan Westhoff to open the scoring. Tim James was stand in kicker for the day and started with a conversion, 7-0.

From the kickoff Martock took advantage of some missed first up tackles which resulted in a penalty for not rolling away. Martock decided to go for the penalty kick to reduce the deficit. The penalty was missed and that really summed up the day for the visitors who then succumbed to effectively one way traffic for the next 60 minutes.

From the resulting 22 BoS were always on the front foot for the rest of the half - scores were scored with regularity throughout the remainder of the half. Felix Grandfield, Jude Donnelly, Eoghan Westhoff, Ryan Dickson (2), Luke Mclean and Dave Harris all scored with a mixture of success with the conversions resulting in a 50-0 score line at half time, despite the score board showing 52 which the Referee asked to be corrected!

The start of the second half saw another quick score with Jack Manlow scoring to the right of the posts. Then came the flashpoint of the game where post the score an altercation between the Martock prop and Matthew Slater ensued. The result of which saw a yellow card for the Martock prop but a red card for the BoS player.

Whilst there needed to be a minor reshuffle nothing really changed with regular scores occurring but the pace inevitably dropped as BoS were a player short. Scores for Scott Mills, Jack Manlow, Conor Howard all came the way of the hosts.  Further scores were made (those watching please fill in the last two tries!).  Final score 86-0 to the hosts.

There were some great spells of interplay between forwards and backs throughout the game. It was also great to have some first team players mixing it up with those who have represented the twos all season. Overall a great win with the seconds ensuring a shut out and the biggest win of the season so far in the division!

Thanks to everyone who came and supported today, also to David Timms for being touch judge.

Next week is a week off for the twos but First XV are home and pushing to secure the second spot in their league. The second team play Winscombe IIs away April 6th which will be a tough away game but they after today they could spring a surprise.

BoS IIs 7 Somerton 22

So on an overcast and breezy day Stags II entertained Somerton at the Pit’s back pitch.

From the kick off the game was a scrappy affair with neither side being able to string more than four or five phases of play together.  It was interesting as there was a lot of dropped ball but not knocked on ball which made for a frantic opening.

On 4th minute Somerton got a penalty but refused the kick at goal and instead went for the corner which was over cooked and resulted in a 22 drop out for Burnham. Again though continuity of play was lacking by both teams. However on the stroke of 10 minutes Somerton earned a penalty in front of the posts to the right side of the 22. The visitors this time took the opportunity to go for goal but couldn’t convert and the ball was wide of the right upright.

From the resulting drop out Somerton took the game to the Stags and sustained phase play saw Somerton score under the posts, the conversion was made 0-7 to the visitors.

From the kick off BoS looked to get some sustained pressure of their own. Some good phase play saw BoS get up the field but couldn’t convert the pressure into points. From that point BoS were pushed into their own 22 but I’ll discipline from the visitors saw a relieving penalty. Alex Bowkett found a howitzer of a kick which saw the ball land into touch on the Somerton 22. A good solid lineout saw BoS put together consistent phase play in a pod format and after five phases saw a hole open in the visitors defence which Scott Mills took advantage of to score under the posts, conversion made 7-7. That was the way it remained for the final two minutes of the half.

The start of the second half was almost a mirror image of the first except this time it was ripping of the ball which saw the teams swop possession.  Around the 50 minute mark it seemed certain that Somerton were going to score but excellent work in defence and ripping of the ball by Dave Wainwright saw BoS get the ball from their end of the pitch to the visitors 22. Unfortunately the final phase of play couldn’t see a score. 

From the resulting 22 drop out Somerton pressed and pushed their way up the field but managed to knock on at the crucial moment. The resulting scrum saw BoS try to play the ball out their 22 but an errant pass was pounced upon by the visitors who scrambled through to score. The conversion was missed, 7-12.

BoS weren’t going to be outdone and pushed upfield through some amazing handling. By the half way line Scott Mills was at full pelt and looked certain to score but a dubious tackle saw him downed about five metres short. This resulted in the Stags being short handed but more unfortunately the scrum wheeled and Somerton literally used two runners to go the length of the pitch to score. Conversion wasn’t made from wideout. A cruel blow at a crucial moment.

From that point Somerton pressed again and managed to earn a penalty. This resulted in a lineout on the BoS 22, from that Somerton ran a pre-worked move which resulted in their fourth try of the afternoon.  There was enough time for a kickoff with a minute of play left but the clock was against the Stags. Final result 7-22.

Overall a tough loss to take as with less than 10 minutes left the game could have gone either way. Alex Bowkett had a good day with the boot, and it was good to see Jamie Blyth, Neil Harding and Barry New back on the park.  The players of the day were Scott Mills and Stuart Theobald, both of whom were outstanding and played with great heart.

Whilst it was a tough loss at home the mood was up beat in the camp as it showed how close the game really was with 10 to go. Some exit strategies and slightly better execution of set play was the difference on the day.  Overall, positives can be taken away and worked on for the next game in two weeks time.

Thanks to the supporters who cheered the team on and for David Timms for running the line.

BoS II 42 Minehead Barbarians II 10

On an overcast and breezy afternoon 15 players took to the pitch with some players in alternate positions. That said none looked out of place as the afternoon went on.

From the kick off It was an arm wrestle with both teams trying to get a decent foothold. Minehead were probably the better starters but Burnham managed to absorb the pressure and on 7th minute after a penalty on the Minehead 22 Eoghan Westhoff took a quick tap and crashed over, conversion not made.

From the restart Burnham were placed under pressure but again Minehead could not convert the pressure into points and some great counter rucking saw Burnham move out of their 22 and up the field thanks to great running and passing through forwards and backs.  Unfortunately the pressure was immediately back on and this time Minehead were much better at finishing, crashing over on 17th minute. Conversion not made.

The restart saw some good physical rugby by both teams with pressure being applied by both teams. Burnham came close after a great run by Scott Mills. On 36th minute Raw Sprts Coaching (Matt Love) showed some great pace and after some side stepping got over in the corner, no conversion and 10-5 at the break.

The second half started with Burnham determined to play rugby and not get sucked into the Minehead arm wrestle. This resulted in one of the best halves of the season so far from the IIs. The handling went up a level and forwards and backs clicked combining immediately for another Eoghan Westhoff score, handing off and side stepping in the process - the only thing missing was a goose step! Massive credit thought to Nick Mcken who through a barnstorming set up that score. Again conversion missed so 15-5.

9 minutes later and the same again except the scorer was Dave Harris, who added a dive to the side step and hand off. This time Eoghan Westhoff was the provider. No conversion 20-5.

Minehead seemed to get the better of the penalty count after that score and took the game to Burnham through their forwards. This resulted in a scrappy passage of play which saw Minehead keep their heads and score, yet again no conversion so 20-10.

That seemed to really annoy Burnham but positively and all of the rest of the game saw Burnham turn it on. Scores arrived on the 63rd, 70th and 73rd minutes from Alex Bowkett, Dave Harris and Mike Forward (who kindly came and played in the back line instead of his normal hooker).  The final try was converted by Alex Bowkett - 42-10 the final score.

Credit to the Burnham front row who had a hell of an afternoon against a very grizzled opposite three. Stuart Theobald had an excellent game in the loose along with Robert Leigh who made some excellent breaks.  In fact the XV that played today can take huge pride from a huge win which could prove important at the end of the season and momentum is building.

Thanks to David Timms for running the line and to Chris Jones who also stepped in to cover the line when Minehead ran out of players due to injury.

Next week the IIs travel to Yeovil for a tough away trip, on today’s efforts it should be a corker.

WSM IV 19 BoS IIs 24

The IIs travelled the short journey away to Weston RFC IVs in what was an interesting game ranging from rugby skills to boxing skills.

The first half started as many of the games this season, great opening passages of play by BoS only to be on the receiving end of a sucker punch and today was no different. From the kick off BoS looked determined to score first only for WSM to go ahead against the run of play 7-0 to the hosts with 5 on the clock.

From the restart BoS applied pressure and were consistently knocking at the WSM try area but the hosts were dogged in their defence. After several passages of play and some great line out work by Neil Harding BoS managed to get the ball through the hands and to Eoghan Westhoff who crashed over for a well deserved first try, the conversion was successful and 7-7 after 15 minutes.

Again BoS from the restart withstood a little bit of pressure but managed to withstand it and work their way down field. Again the set plays worked and for the second time in the game Eoghan Westhoff went over by the posts to score, conversion successfully made and 7-14 to the visitors.

At this point BoS took charge and looked threatening every time they got the ball, working through the middle and getting the ball flowing through the hands. The only visit by the hosts into the visitors 22 resulted in a good run by Conor Howard to return it with interest. Several plays later and Jacob Allen was able to score. Unfortunately, this time the conversion could not be made so 7-19 to the visitors on 30 minute mark.

The resulting kick off saw a change in the weather which coincided with an enforced player change. Neil Harding, who had been having his match of the season, got cleared from a ruck but suffered a game ending injury in the process. Whilst BOS were able to bring on the very able Neil Coleman it did change the balance of the pack with some reshuffling having to take place. Thankfully, BoS were able to withstand the pressure and turn around at halftime 7-19 up.

The second half though saw a completely different game, after the running and clean hitting the hosts did start to turn the game into a physical arm wrestle. The weather also turned and the pitch resembled an ice rink in places. The hosts used this to their advantage and by moving the ball to the greener area of the park were able to score a converted try, 14-19 on 45 minute mark.

From the resulting kick off the next 20 minutes were more about cool heads and keeping good footing. Unfortunately, that was not the case for one side who kept infringing and being on the wrong side of the Referee, thankfully that wasn’t the team in the blue and white. The Captains were spoken to on numerous occasions in that period but in the end it was WSM who incurred the ultimate sanction by being reduced to 14 men due to a second successive high tackle.

BoS kept attacking but a promising move resulted in a juggled interception by WSM but sensible play by Russ Pike saw the try being scored in the corner thus making the conversion difficult and not made, 19-19 with 10 left.

Then came tackle of the day from Jude Donnelly who literally drove the WSM scrum half backwards and into the ground. Everyone heard the thump as both players hit the deck. That resulted in pressure and plenty of it, unfortunately on 75th minute BoS had to go to 14 due to an injury to Eoghan Westhoff. That, coupled with a never say never attitude saw BoS applying pressure runs and after losing some yardage the ball was passed to Scott Mills who produced some searing pace and cut an angle which saw what proved to be the game winning score. Unfortunately the conversion was missed, 19-24.

The final restart of the game saw 2 minutes of constant pressure by the hosts but they were unable to hold on to the possession and tried one last ditch effort but to no avail. The ball ended up being kicked out on the full which resulted in a BoS scrum with time completed. A simple play so the ball off the park and a final whistle which saw a win on the road.

Yes, plenty to work on but being able to dig deep and grind out a win against tough opponents has to be a positive.

Thanks to all the supporters for coming to support given the foul weather, it was much appreciated by the team. Thanks also to David Timms for yet again running the line.

Next game for IIs is on Feb 9th at home - another double header with the first team home as well. After which is the Race Night, so don’t forget to get your tickets and hopefully enjoy two wins and some wins on the races to boot!

BoS II 19 v Chard II 38

A great club day with all Seniors in action. The BoS IIs took on the visitors from Chard on the second team pitch which was in perfect condition. Due to a late withdrawal BoS IIs could only field 14 against a Chard outfit who brought 20 with them.

From the kick off Chard showed dominance and kept attacking putting BoS on the back foot. The pressure told and after a messy passage of play Chard were awarded a penalty try as the BoS defender took the Chard player out as he went to dive on the ball, the referee deemed it obstruction and that was 0-7 after 4.

Then came a turn around and BoS were on the attack and showed great endeavour and some consistent phase play which result in a cut back on the wing from the returning Matt Love which resulted in a great busting run from Dave Harris who scored just to the right of the posts, the try was converted and 7-7 after 15.  

The next 15 minutes saw a bit of an arm wrestle between the teams and some scrappy phases which rattled the visitors. Unfortunately the turning point of the game happened on the 30 minute mark when the visitors scored two quick tries one after an interception pass and the second through a missed tackle. Only one was converted resulting in 7-19 score line.  By half time the score line had been pushed out further by the visitors to 7-33.

The start of the second half saw BoS take the game to the visitors as with nothing to lose they went for it. Unfortunately, the game started to fracture literally through the visitors picking up regular injuries and yellow cards. This created a bit of a stop start half but nevertheless BoS kept at it and another great rumbling run from Dave Harris saw his second try of the day, unfortunately Alex Bowkett couldn’t convert but it showed BoS would not be pushed around.

From the restart Chard were receiving stern words from the Referee along with picking up a string of injuries most notably what appeared to be a dislocated knee. This meant a reshuffle for the visitors who managed to conjure a score in the corner against the run of play, conversion was not made so 12-38.

However, BoS were not finished and great pressure resulted in a series of line outs on the visitors 5 metre line which after a number of efforts resulted in a try from Felix Grandfield, the conversion was made and whilst that was the end of the game BoS had won the second half which is a great effort for the 14 players in the blue and white hoops.

The game turned in the first half where, with 15 players, the interception pass may not have been thrown and that additional player would have locked out the middle.  None of the players will use that as an excuse though which is credit to them all.

Congratulations to Matthew Slater on picking up his 100+ cap tie, well deserved given his club endeavours over the years and a welcome face in the IIs. Fair play to Raw Sprts Coaching, Matt Love, on his return to rugby.

Next week is on the road to Weston IV, with no first team game hope to see some travelling support for the short drive down the road, the team would appreciate it!

BoS II 7 Winscombe II 31

It was an extremely blustery afternoon for the 14:15 kick off, so blustery in fact the touch flags were practically horizontal.

BoS were going to go with uncontested scrums but Winscombe provided a prop to enable contested scrums.  Winscombe decided to play with the wind in the first half and kicked off.

From the kick off it was continual pressure with Burnham having less than a dozen touches on the ball. That pressure proved fruitful with Winscombe scoring the opening try on the 4th minute, the conversion could not be made.  From the restart it was a scrappy encounter with both teams having possession but the weather was winning out with a greasy ball and wind being the ultimate factor.

On the stroke of 14 minutes Winscombe scores from repeated scrums this time the conversion was successful, 0-12. Again the restart was interesting with everyone scrambling to maintain and keep possession. For the next 20 minutes it was a real arm wrestle between both teams trying their best to play rugby but again the weather was not playing it’s part. On 36th minute Winscombe scores again with another successful conversion, 0-19 at halftime.

After the break Burnham really stepped up and showed they were a match for the league leaders and put together some great phases and ensured Winscombe kept being pressured and eventually after a seventh successive penalty the Referee awarded Burnham a penalty try, 7-19.

Again, Burnham took the game to Winscombe and played some good rugby in appalling conditions. Unfortunately, the pressure could not be converted into points. Winscombe scored on the 60th minute to take the score to 7-24. It was a shame as the second half had started so brightly for the blue hoops. That said, they did not let their heads drop and kept going but eventually the league leaders took control and scored on the 70th minute, conversion was made 7-31.

The restart resulted in Burnham pressure but to no avail and the match ended 7-31 to the visitors. The scoreboard did not reflect the true spirit of the boys in the blue and white hoops all of whom kept trying despite the conditions.

Special mention to Jamie Blyth who was the pack leader and led by example. Thanks to Winscombe who brought 20 players with them and lent Burnham a couple when the chips were down. Matthew Glanville did well given the conditions ensuring he found his man in the line out. Finally, Thanks to Sally Flack for sponsoring the game.

Not the result wanted to end 2018 but given the conditions and the opposition BoS IIs can now head into 2019 knowing they can match anyone on any given day. Player stability is key going into 2019, so again anyone who wants to give it a go get in touch.

Happy Christmas and Happy New Year, roll on Taunton away as first game up in 2019!

BoS II 46 v Bridgwater & Albion III 31

Today’s game was an interesting one to say the least with both teams unable to field a full XV. Therefore the game was played with 11v11 and Burnham lending 2 players to Bridgy in both halves of 30 minutes.

The game started as a bit of fun but it quickly moved into a serious game with both sides trading blows and on the 15 minute mark BoS were 15-7 up when, unfortunately, Barry New had a game ending knee injury. This left BoS with 10 v 11 for the remainder of the game and turned the league game into effectively a game of which team could remain the stronger. At half time BoS were 25-17 up.

BoS then gave Bridgy one of their potent players in Doug Caddick who turned out to be probably the best player for the opposition. On the stroke of ten minutes into the second half Scott Mills had an injury which restricted his playing ability. At that point BoS were effectively another player down as Scott wasn’t able to play at his full potential as he was severely hampered. That said the stags IIs kept at it and eventually ran out deserved winners.

A big thank you to the visitors for playing a competitive game but an even bigger pat on the back to Robert Leigh who played the full game for Bridgy and to Jamie Blyth and Doug Caddick who played a half each for the opposition and all were arguably Bridgys top performers. Finally, thanks to Jim Stanford for sponsoring the game.

Next week is the journey to Martock where a win would push the IIs up the table in preparation for the test of Winscombe before the Christmas break.  If there are any players out there who want to get involved then message Tim James and lets finish 2018 with two massive wins.

BoS IIs 14 v Yeovil IIs 47

It was a tough day for the seconds at home to Yeovil IIs who were the visitors and flying high in the division. The match really was a game of two halves.

The first half started with Burnham kicking off and were attacking quite well but turnover ball cost them good field position and on 7th minute saw Yeovil score in the corner at the clubhouse end. The conversion could not be made. Unfortunately this saw the start of a period of strong Yeovil possession. However, all the possession could not be converted into points. For 20 minutes Yeovil seemed to have all the ball but could only manage a further try and two penalties, 16 nil to the visitors by 25 minutes. Instead of rolling over BoS went for it and a great attacking play saw Jack Manlow suffer a game ending injury to his ankle. However from that BoS went up another gear and scored their first try thanks to strong running by Dan Berry, the conversion was made by ScottHavercroft.  From the restart BoS attacked again and some great handling saw another great run by Dan Berry and the ball passed out to eventually get grounded. The Referee though had seen a high tackle on Felix Grandfield and decided to award a penalty try. From that restart BoS held out the visitors to turn round at half time only 2 points behind the visitors.

Unfortunately though the second half saw the visitors run in scores but only when BoS started losing players to injury. The second game ending injury happened on 55th minute just after BoS had conceded a converted try. Barry New had battled through around 20 minutes of a suspected cracked rib but succumbed to the injury. This left BoS playing with 14 players and the visitors exploited the extra man. After a further two tries the third game ending injury occurred with Dan Berry suffering an ankle injury which resulted in him having to go to hospital for an X Ray. From that point on it was damage limitation for the home side who only had 13 on the pitch for the remainder of the game, some 20 minutes. Some valiant defending and last ditch defending kept the visitors below the half century with the final whistle signalling a 14-47 loss.

It was a hard loss to take as if 15 players could have remained on the pitch then who knows what might have happened.

Next week sees a week off with the next game for the IIs being 17th November away to Somerton. Hopefully the break will allow injuries to heal and a return of some players.

BoS II 36 WSM IV 17

On a bright and sunny afternoon and a lot of phone calls to raise a XV BoS IIs took on local rivals WSM. The game had to be played with uncontested scrums due to front row injuries. From the kick off Burnham took the initiative and after a few phases of play Jude Donnelly took a crash ball and a great run saw him score. Unfortunately the conversion could not be be made so 5-0 after 5 minutes.

From the kick off though began a period of dominance by the visitors seeing them score 17 points in roughly the same amount of time. 5-17 by the 25 minute mark. At that point Burnham went on the attack and Felix Grandfield took a ball into the WSM 22 and then came a turning point for the visitors. For some unknown reason the WSM fly half decided to use Felix's head as a boot cleaner. The Referee immediately blew and called the WSM fly half across, after a talking to the WSM fly half was red carded. That probably changed the course of the game. Following that BoS scored their second try, unfortunately the match reporter was dealing with the head injury to note who scored. 10-17 at half time.

After the break the game broke up and no team could really put their stamp on the game. On 55th minute WSM were awarded a penalty on the half way line. Their decision was to kick for goal, the resulting attempt fell short and then came the game break of the day. Scott Mills received the ball and carried it from the BoS 22 to the WSM 22, only to be pulled down by a high tackle. From that point BoS played running rugby and tries were scored by TimJames, Scott Havercroft, Felix Grandfield and DaveWainwright. Three of the four conversions were successfully made by Scott Havercroft.

WSM had a golden chance of scoring only for Conor Howard to slap the ball out of the hands of the WSM winger who was going under the posts. The final five minutes of the game were played out in the centre of the pitch before the final whistle which saw BoS pick up five points for the win.

A massive shout out to those who put their hands up to play especially Neil Coleman, Darren Cridge-Drinkwater, Barry New and "Conor's Mate". MoM was Scott Mills who in only his third full game played skillfully and robustly always taking the game to WSM. Thanks also to David Timms and Robin Mccord for their help. 

Next weekend sees the IIs travel to Minehead where another win would really see them climb up the table.

Saturday 15th September - Burnham IIs 5  Taunton IIIs 36

The IIs hosted Taunton IIIs on a bright sunny afternoon at the Pit. The first half started brightly for the visitors. After some concerted pressure Taunton scored in the fifth minute. From the restart it was all Taunton who took control of the game and bossed the pack in the scrum, maul and line out and scored again on the 10 minute mark. However, Burnham hung in and against the run of play managed to create an angle to swing a pass to Thomas Harris who backed himself and ran sixty metres to score. Unfortunately the conversion couldn't be made 12-5. From the restart though Taunton really took the game by the scruff of the neck and ran in a further three tries before half time, 29-5 at the break.

The break was the chance Burnham needed to regroup and the restart saw the greatest piece of sustained pressure witnessed in the whole game. Burnham pinned Taunton in their own 22 for 20 minutes and effectively turned the tables on the away team. The only break of the half saw Taunton manage to score a converted try on the 66 minute mark. Whilst that was effectively the game Burnham did not give up and carried on playing rugby and pushing Taunton back. Full Time saw Taunton win but they knew they had been in a game that second half.

All the IIs can take heart from this, yes disappointing to lose, but to give Taunton (who have not lost a game for over a year now) a good going over in the second half is something that can be drawn upon for the rest of the season. The pack especially were immense and all the front row players gave as good as they got against a wiley group from Taunton.

A special mention to Scott Mills who made his Stags debut and a great effort to boot.

Next week is a week off with the next game being just up the road away to Morganians on, 29th September.

Saturday 8th Sept: Wiveliscombe 2s 12 - BoS RFC 2s 17

So BoS RFC 2s started their season away to Wiveliscombe with a bare 16 players against Wivey's 20. The first 20 minutes saw BoS camped in the Wivey 22 and after a series of promising attacks and attacking scrums came away with a push over try. Unfortunately the conversion could not be made as wide out on the touchline.

The next quarter of the game saw possession exchange several times but neither team making the telling break. Wivey came very close but dogged defence saw Burnham into the break 5 nil up.

After the break, and a re-shuffle in the backs, Burnham conceded within four minutes of the restart and Wivey came away with a converted try. From the restart it was all Wivey who had taken homefield knowledge and were playing with the slope. On the stroke of 9 minutes into the second half Wivey scored again, this time though the conversion was unsuccessful. From the restart Burnham had to weather the storm and started to get some good phases of play. A little grubber kick which wasn't dealt with by Wivey saw Burnham score under the posts making the conversion easier, 12-12 with 15 left.

From that point on Burnham's 15 warriors were not going to be denied with forwards and backs combining brilliantly to create holes within the Wivey defence which eventually gave out. Burnham just missed the conversion, score 12-17 with five to go. Wivey tried to get into the Burnham half but again the defence held their line and pushed back. Final whistle saw relief that the first game in anger was under their belts but more importantly it saw 15 guys who were willing to pull on the shirt and show the Stags are no push over.

Next week we are home to Taunton 3rds who were promoted last season not losing a game. If the same 15 can play again and have the required subs it will be a cracking game.

So, if you are at a loose end come down for a 3pm kick off and support a great bunch of guys who are guaranteed to give it their all.

Click here to see match reports from previous season


Website Decision Power ©2013