First Team Match Reports

Match Reports 2015-2016 Season - First XV

Burnham on Sea  50   Cheltenham. 14
Burnham produced a confident performance, full of determination, vitality and skill and taking the opportunity to blood two more development squad players, with Ryan Beard playing from the start. From the kick off Burnham pressed their opponents to the extent of forcing them to take a hurried clearing kick,bstraight down Paul's throat who sped back towards his opponents, slipped  a pass to Holder, who passed on to Russell Pike to score out wide.5-0.A few minutes later Burnham won good lineout ball in their own 22, drove on enabling Wikitera to burst up the pitch, two successful phases later, whipped out to the backs for Holder to set up Jordan Paul to cross the line.10-0. 15 minutes later burnham abain piled on the pressure through speed of thought and body, creating a flowing movement between backs and forwards, all the way across to the left wing before resetting and then back across to the right wing where Safar created enough space for Josh Holder to score in the corner. 15-0. On the stroke of halftime, Cheltenham were awarded. penalty lineout, then a scrum allowing them to score close to.15-7. Burnham brushed this slight setback asside and almost immediately from the start of the second half Burnham stole the ball from a maul, Spelman broke out and with 50 metres to go he found a willing Matt Love on his outside, passed it on for Love to race in under the posts. Holder converted. 22-7. Relentless pressure from Butnham gave Ryan Beard the chance to gather from the base of a ruck and neatly step through three tackles and noncantly cross the line, followed by a debut from Scott Havercroft to add the conversion. 29-7. 10 minutes later Burnham, even though going backwards, Jordyn Wikitera picked up and crashed through a demoralise Cheltenham to score. Havercroft converted.36-7. Nothing could stop Burnham now and even after a lengthy spell in their own 22, Shaw  with his inimitable strength, broke the shackles and sped out of the 22, gave the ball to a rampaging "rhino", Wikitera to charge in from 50 metres out. Havercroft again added the extras. 43-7. Not to be outdone, again after a spell of Cheltenham pressure, Paul intercepted a pass deep in Burnham's 22 and race 90 metres to score under the posts, bringing Burnham's half century. Havercroft  continued with a 100% record.50-7. Cheltenham,to be fair,kept going and were rewarded with a last minute try. Final score 50-14. Well done Burnham. Burnham now have a balanced side that can, literally score from anywhere on the pitch. With the pace and agility of Jordan Paul, back to his best after a lengthy spell with injury, the defensivemode instilled by coach Muskett and the mobility of the forwards, Burnham are now a match for anyone. Fast, flowing aggressive in defence and very easy on the eye and with both the seconds and the development squads having successful seasons, Burnham appear to have a bright future. Congratulations to all involved. Burnham are away next week to Keynsham.

Chosen Hill 3 Burnham on sea 18

Burnham  travelled to Chosen Hill in the second of three matches against Gloucestershire opposition in consecutive weeks. After last Saturday's victory against third place Stroud Burnham were determined to keep up winning ways against a side they have never beaten away from home.
The match started with Chosen Hill having the upper hand keeping Burnham pinned back deep In their own half for long periods of the first 20 minutes. Second row Luke Gowan had to leave the field after ten minutes due to a broken collar bone. However Burnham defended with Spirit until the 20th minute when Chosen Hill were awarded a penalty that their number 10 converted.
Now the tide began to turn Burnham started to use the slope of the pitch and pushing the home side back into their own half began to win more penalties and dominate the set piece with Dan Spellman outstanding in the line out. It was a driving maul following a line out that saw Jordyn Wiketeria crash over for the first Burnham try with 30 minutes on the clock.
Five minutes later Spellman scored a try himself. Now Burnham were rampant and were soon awarded a penalty in front of the posts that Beau Dickins converted.
Then seconds before Half time Burnham won a scrum and passed the ball along the back line to put Matt love in for a try in the corner. Half Time score Chosen Hill 3 Burnham on sea 18.
There were no more scores in the second half but Burnham must be congratulated for their grittiness as they lost flanker Henry Bigwood with a red card early In the half and for 10 minutes were down to 13 men after Spellman was yellow carded.
In recent weeks Burnham have become a much more formidable unit. The defence is tight and the scrums andd line outs have improved beyond belief. Well done Burnham ! 
Looking forward to Cheltenham at home!

Burnham on Sea  22  Stroud  10        

Burnham came through in a match that they were probably expected to struggle with Stroud 3rd in the league. However Burnham thought otherwise and with a resolute and determined defence and at times an awesome display of power and pace, they won the day. ln fact a quote from the Stroud hierarchy was"your defence for the most part won you the game". At last Burnham put into practice, what they practiced on the training ground. Burnham started well and with, at times, a fierce cross wind they claimed the first score after 15 minutes. they won their own scrum,picked up by Wikitera who drew the immediate defender and then adroitly slipped the ball to Beau Dickens to hand off one opponent and evade the next before crossin the line. 5-0. Try as they might,Stroud couldn't break down Burnham's line and after stealing the ball,Dickens whipped it out to Muskett, whose carefully placed kick, enabled Jordan Paul to chase it down, hack it on and then win the race to ground the ball. Dickens converted. 5 minutes later, after a period of concerted pressure, Stroud at last managed to penetrate Burnham's line.12-5. Halftime. Burnham's team talk at halftime from both skipper and coach obviously re-energised Burnham who immediately tore into the opposition with a will, producing the opportunity for Muskett to penetrate the defence with a tantalising grubber kick, giving Jack Pope the chance to show off his speed of foot and touch down.17-5. Ten minutes later, Burnham won their own scrum and even though they were going backwards, Wikitera picked up, set off like the charging "rhino" that he is, raced up the middle of the park, drew the fullback and then slipped the ball on to a marauding Jordan Paul to claim his second try of the game and a bonus try for Burnham.22-5. Stroud managed to come back and record a try but Burnham held out to post a well earned victory. Final score 22-10. Well Done Burnham. Mentioned in despatches, the front five, especially Spanish Jaime, the back row row of Stacey, Spelman and Wikitera who stifled any chance of Stroud setting upany gainline advantages. The Kiwi pairing at halfback, whose defensive work in the tacklind department were second to none, Shaw for his redoubtable strength including a handoff that his opposite number will remember for a long time and finally the runners, who showed that given the ball they can cause mayhem, but were also up for the workload when they needed to defend.A stellar team performance. Burnham are away this coming Saturday to Chosen Hill Former Pupils. Finally the supporters lunch will be on April 16th, 1pm for 1-30pm.Please let Chris Jones know.

Old Bristolians 29 Burnham 17

On a narrow but perfect pitch Burnham conceded an early penalty which led to 2 no back-to-back Bristolians lineouts putting Burnham under huge pressure but they managed to hold out and clear their lines.
The 1st half scrummaging was a problem for Burnham as Bristolians' pack was very strong. However, on 19 mins Bristolians had a lineout on the halfway line, fed their backs and after 2no missed tackles by Burnham they got their first try in the corner. The conversion was missed, 5 - 0.
Despite Bristolians having quick backs and strong forwards Burnham hit back in the 22nd min with a try from Danny Spelman and Beau Dickins converted, 5 - 7. But the lead was short lived as in the 25th min Burnham post possession of the ball in the middle and with quick ball by Bristolians out wide they scored their 2nd try in the same corner as before. This time the conversion was successful, 12 - 7.
After 30 mins Burnham lost Jake Fereday with a knee injury, Matt Fear went into the front row with Ed Lewis going into the 2nd row. These changes seemed to improve the quality of Burnham's scrum work.
Bristolians were a well drilled and organised team and after 33 mins a kick by their fly half out wide was gathered by their winger inside the 22 metre line who then cut inside and raced through to score under the posts. The conversion was successful, 19 - 7.
With 2 mins to go a mistake in the dead ball area by Burnham gave Bristolians a 5yd penalty resulting in a quick 'tap and go' and Bristolians were able to force their way over the line to score their fourth try. The conversion was missed, 24 - 7.
Burnham had the last say of the half when Bristolians infringed 25yds out and Beau Dickens put the resultant penalty kick between the posts, 24 - 10 half time.
The 2nd half started with Jake Harding at full back and Sam Lewis at scrum half and straight away Burnham started to show much more resilience and pleasingly Burnham's scrum started to dominate Bristolians.
After 60 mins at a Burnham lineout Bristolians interfered with the jumper. From the penalty Burnham kicked into touch. Henry Bigwood won the lineout fed Jordan Witikiria who broke away from the defence, passed out to Mason Shaw and he fed Spelman who went over for his 2nd try. The conversion was successful, 24 - 17.
3 mins later young Chris Marsh replaced Ashley Tucker and at this point Burnham were in control. Wikiteria was finding much more space and continued to break the Bristolians defensive line.
On 50 mins Burnham had the put-in at the scrum only 5yds from the Bristolians line but lost possession again - so close. And despite their domination the Burnham lads could not find another score. Then in the 75th min against the run of play the Bristolians winger evaded 3 Burnham tackles to score try no 5. The conversion was missed, 29 - 17.
Burnham tried hard to hit back quickly but just ran out of time.

Burnham on Sea  58 vs  Gordano 0
Burnham put Gordano to the sword in an emphatic fashion,running in 9 tries and displaying the type of rugby that coach Richard Muskett has been working so hard in getting across to the boys in training. Brandon Pettitt marked his debut with a try and showing that he is more than capable of playing senior rugby.
Burnhams pack which was Ed Lewis, Adam Peters, Jamie Dutton, Ross Mckechan, Tom Stevens Danny Spellman Henry Bigwood and Jordyn Wikitera pulled up there socks and did the hard work which often goes unnoticed, to enable Burnham to release there backs to notch up the 9 tries. Try scorers were Beau Dickins 2,Jordan Paul 2,Brandon Pettitt,Josh Holder,Russell Pike,Richard Muskett aand Tim Piper,who also kicked 5 conversions and a penalty.

Every player including Matt Fear who came off the bench had a big influence in the game and as a team Burnham really did prove they can play the style of rugby to challenge any team. 
Man of the match was a very difficult choice however it went to Henry (Voldemort) Bigwood. 

Burnham travel to Wellington for their next match,coach leavingat 12 midday.

Burnham on Sea  17 vs  Matson 22

Burnham took the all conquering league leaders right to the wire.Probably Burnham,s best display of the season,full of guts,determination and quality.Only in the last minute of added on time did Burnham succumb to the might of Matson.Make no mistake,should Burnham continue to play like this for the rest of the season,they could reach a top four slot.Burnham elected to play against the strong wind and whilst they were penned back in their own half,they broke out after 12 minutes and were rewarded when Matson were caught offside.Piper duly obliged.3-0.Ten minutes later after a protracted spell attacking Burnham's line,which did not break,but transgressed,Matson levelled the score.Shortly after,in a rare excursion into Matson's half,Burnham were awarded a penalty,quickly taken by Piper,on to Wikiteria,who timed his pass to perfection for a marauding Henry Bigwood to race in from 25 metres.8-3.Unfortunately Burnham suffered a yellow card just before Half-time.Almost immediately after the restart Matson were caught offside and burnham moved ahead 11-3.This was just the kick up the proverbials that Matson needed andfor the next 15 minutes they proceeded to show why they are the top team,recording two converted tries to ease themselves back into the lead,11-17.Burnham,however were not to be denied and pounded away at Matson's line,clawing their way back level with two further penalties from Piper.17-17.The match moved into injury time amd Matson were able to mount one more final effort,culminating in an unconverted try.17-22.Full time.An incredible rugby match played with commitment,bodies on the line and sheer tenacity from both sides.Well done.AS for Burnham they should now move on,knowing that they can match the best this league has to offer.Well done Burnham,a magnificent effort.

Burnham on Sea  32. Barts Rugby 19

Burnham got back to winning ways and in the process moved up to 5th in the table. the match was played in bitingly cold windy conditions which appeared, initially, to spur Burnham into swift action. Right from the start Burnham applied the pressure forcing Barts into giving a lineout just inside their own half. Gowan shot up like an express lift, straight off the top to Piper, who then released the rampaging rhino that is Wikitera to smash through Barts defence before offloading to Henry Bigwood to score between the posts. Jordan Paul converted 7-0. Burnham kept their foot on the pedal, with Lewis and McKechan combining to almost create the 2nd try, but clearly showing Burnham'e intentions. After 12 minutes Barts'clearing kick was collected by Paul,instantly offloaded to Wikitera, scattering defenders before adroitly passing to the supporting Tim Piper to touch down between the posts. Paul converted.14-0. Burnham kept their proverbial stranglehold on Barts, camped in their territory, but ,unfortunately,committed a series of basic errors and poor discipline. However,after 35 minutes, Spelman picked from the scrum, supported by Holder, who delayed passing to Jordan Paul to round the last man and then score out wide.19-0.3 minutes later Barts strayed offside in front of the posts.Paul duly obliged.22-0.Barts somehow managed to shake off the shackles and after 2 consecutive penalties conceded by Burnham they gathered in good lineout ball,set up the rolling maul and crasued over.22-7. Halftime.  In the second half, with the wind behind them Barts capitalised on Burnham's mistakes, eventually creating their favourite weapon, the rolling maul, held up over the line, but from the resulting scrum, their No.8 picked up, broke away on the blindside and then slipped the ball to the winger to score out wide.22-12.Burnham now knew that Barts were not going to lie down and roll over and after a succession of side to side movement, Piper created enough space to send Ash Tucker on his way,using his strength and agility to claim the try, earning Burnham a much needed bonus point. After 27 minutes Burnham were reduced to 14 men, dubious decision by the referee, allowing Barts with the extra man and weight superiority to claim third try.27-19. On the stroke of time,following a late tackle on Pike, Burnham took the penalty lineout, formed a driving maul, whereupon the rest of the team piled in to produce an unstoppable force so that Jordan Wikiteria was able to record a richly deserved try.32-19. Final score.A good performance by Burnham, much improvement in lineouts with smoothly esecuted co-ordination between Peters and Gowan, scrums holding their own, Shaw showing what a destructive force he can be and all in all if Burnham could eliminate half the errors they make, they will be a force to be reckoned with. Debut boy Chris Marsh produced 2 timely tackles collecting himself a colourful eye as a badge of honour. Well done Burnham. Burnham are at ahome again this Saturday in a re-arranged fixture against Gordano.Kick off 2-30pm.

Avon 12 Burnham on sea 5

In a good game played between two even sides on the day, Burnham can only reflect on squandered chances that this week put them on the wrong end of a close match.
For the first twenty minutes of the game Avon had a lot of possession and used their forwards to give them good field position.  Burnham defended grittily with some great tackling by Mason Shaw and Jordan Paul especially. Eventually Avon were awarded a penalty just inside the Burnham Half, but the kick went just wide. Now Burnham began to play with good runs from Shaw and Josh Holder making inroads into the Avon half.
The closest Burnham came to a try was when Jordyn Wiketeria made a break on the left
And passed to Jordan Paul who just put a foot in touch when diving for the line.
Burnham continued to press for the rest of the first half but couldn't break down a stubborn Avon defence. Avon were awarded a penalty for an offence in the scrum and their No 10 kicked over with the last kick of the 1st half. Half time 3-0 To Avon.
It was Avon who started the second half more aggressively and were awarded a penalty about 30 yards out which their No10 converted. Their was no resting for Burnham as Avon came back with another attack that ended in a drop goal by No 10 to give them a 9-0 lead.
Burnham now surged forward in all out attack but did a lot of the hard work to gain good field position only to lose the ball or be penalised close to Avon's line.
Eventually Burnham did score a try when Skipper Russ Pike drew his man and passed to Matt Love who scored in the corner.
Avon then came back at Burnham again and were awarded another penalty that No10 converted. 12-5 Avon. Burnham continued to push for another score with Ross McKechan and Ben Gibb making telling runs but were still guilty of losing the ball at the vital moment. All in all a fair result with the winning side making the. Most of their chances to put points on the board.

Burnham 1st XV  15  Chew Valley 1st XV  12
On a cold, still day, Burnham ran out to face Chew Valley. The game was preceded by a minutes silence as a mark of respect for the passing of Christine Piper. A club supporter, volunteer, husband to club Life Member John Piper and mum to player/ coach Tim.
In the first half an hour, Burnham won their set piece scrums and line outs. However Burnham could not find touch from the back and allowed Chew to run at the Burnham backs. However a the defence stood firm.  Then, we saw Matt Love break down the blindside, nearly scoring. Unfortunately Burnham lost Beau Dickins to a ham string injury. In the follow up play Burnham knocked on, however,  a Chew Valley infringement at the resulting scrum gave Burnham a penalty. Jordan Paul stepped up and converted it, the score was now 3-0.
There was a good restart with a brave catch from Tom Hocking to secure possession. Unfortunately, we gave away 2 penalties because we were off our feet. Chew Valley kicked to the corner, won the line out, resulting in a try plus conversion. The score was now 3-7.
From the restart, Chew Valley’s knock on meant a Burnham scrum. Mention to Danny Spellman for a great tackle.
Burnham won the scrum. This caused a fantastic thrust into Chew Valley’s half with Henry Bigwood leading the way. Burnham piled on the pressure but Chew Valley continued to thwart us. We were awarded the attacking scrum on the 5 metre line yet we could not turn the possession into points .
Both sides were looking for the win and Chew Valley played with a great tempo to make it a very entertaining game. With a line out, Burnham won the ball and Kiwi Muskett touched the ball down across the line, scoring a try. With the conversion  by Jordan Paul, Burnham were in the lead with a score of 10-7.
Winning another line out, Burnham had control over the ball and Jordyn Wikitera scored the final Burnham try of the match. Unfortunately, the conversion was missed, but Burnham were now dominating the game with a score of 15-7.
With a Burnham knock on, Chew Valley one their line out and their fall back scored them a try. However, they missed the conversion.  With the score line on a knife edge a gripping game saw Burnham defend ferociously to pip Chew at the posts. An exhausting but a fantastic team performance.
Next week Burnham are away to Avon. Coach leaving at 11:45.

Whitehall 3 Burnham on sea 29

Burnham went to Whitehall on Saturday expecting a tough match from a much improving Whitehall side.
In the first half playing with the wind at there backs,Burnham had the lions share of possession but were also only too guilty of dropping the ball once they had created an opening.
After 30 minutes Burnham turned the ball over on the Whitehall 22 and slick passing along the line saw Jordy Paul speed into a gap to score the first try. There were no more scores before half time .
Straight after the break following a scrum and some great driving play from the forwards
Saw Flanker Dan Spellman go over in the corner.
Burnham continued to dominate in open play with Wiketeria , McKechan and Gowan at the heart of everything. In defence Burnham were immense with some big hits coming in from Dickins and Muskett not allowing Whitehall any space at all.
Eventually with some impressive driving play of there own Whitehall earned a penalty that their fuli-back converted. Burnham Continued to dominate open play and after a great display of forward control Jordyn Wiketeria drove over and Jordy Paul converted to make it 17-3.
Now Burnham had total control of the game and it was not long before centre Kiwi Muskett 
Found a gap and went over for the bonus point try that Jordy Paul converted.
Finally Dan Spellman went over in the corner following some slick passing by Muskett and replacement Ashley Tucker.
All agreed this was the best all round performance of the season especially in the wet and windy conditions. Notable performances Tom Hocking at hooker playing only his second match of the season and Ashley Tucker and Matt Slater coming off the bench kept the best performance of the season going right to the final whistle.
A big thank you to Physio Kim Brennan who is leaving the area to pursue her career.
Good luck Kim I'm sure you will be missed by everybody at Burnham on sea RFC.

Burnham on Sea 1st XV 13  Chosen Hill Former Pupils 1st XV 29
Burnham continued on their dismal run in a match they could have won but our two old favourites yet again reared their ugly heads poor tackling and ill-discipline. CHFP opened the scoring when the referee awarded them a penalty try7-0 and poor defensive work allowed their opponents to cross the line twice more. Both converted. Piper kicked 2 good penalties against the wind against the wind to redress the balance leaving Burnham a slim chance for Burnham  to take into the second half with the strengthening wind behind them but somebody forgot to tell Burnham and instead of booting the ball down the park they kept trying to run it ,even from their own 22.when they did manage to lay siege to their opponent's line, they contrived to either lose control or commit a misdemeanour, apart from smart move culminating in the backs making a smart move, with a reverse pass, enabling Richard Muskett to cross the line. Piper converted. However CHFP capitalised on Burnham's inability to play in their opponent's half by scoring another try and adding a penalty goal to run out winners 13-29.This week are away to Cheltenham.

Stroud 46 Burnham on Sea 15

On a very windy day at Stroud Burnham came up against a strong Stroud side in good form.
Burnham playing with the wind in the first half started quickly and won a penalty close to the posts which Will Conway converted. This seemed to spark Stroud into action who began to run and carry the ball with purpose and made inroads into the Burnham defence. Burnham defended bravely until after 15 minutes Stroud were rewarded with a well created try close to the Burnham posts. Burnham scored next when Henry Bigwood ran in a try into the corner from the opposition 10 metre line. Burnham continued to play the game in the opposition half but were all too often guilty of giving the ball away much too easily. Stroud were then awarded a penalty which they converted. Followed by a very well constructed try that involved good running and passing.
With Stroud leading 17-8 at half-time and with Burnham having to re arrange their side due to injuries to Matt Fear,Dan Spellman and Richard Muskett it was always going to a uphill struggle against the wind.
Stroud scored another 4 tries in the second half and Burnham scored a converted try when Jordyn Wiketeria drove over from close range, but the game was really lost in the first half.
Prop Jamie Safar made his first start and Tom Walll came on as replacement both fared well in a very difficult game.

Burnham on Sea 10 vs Old Bristolians 18

Burnham took on the might and weight of O.B's well drilled set of forwards on a chilling,rainswept, windy day.Burnham started with the elements in their favour but it was O.B's who first troubled the scoreboard,when they broke out of defence,earning a penalty,quickly taken,culminating in their blindside wing forward sliding over under the posts.0-7.Burnham then managed to find their way and after a good spell of pressure they formed a rolling maul with Jordyn Wikiteria claiming the spoils.5-7.Burnham kept up their intensity and after a rolling maul over the line the referee deemed that the ball had been held up.From the resulting scrum Burnham produced two successful phases before releasing Wikiteria to break through and score close to.10-7.Burnham,try as they might were unable to crack O.B's solid defence and were ,unfortunately conceding ,both ground and possession to O.B's much larger forwards.In the second half with the at their backs O.B's camped in Burnham's half and even though Burnham affected their own type of urban guerilla warfare they could't stem the tide.Heroic tackling and dogmatic defending were just not enough and eventually O.B's added two penalty goals and a try to their score denying Burnham the chance  to at least record a losing bonus point.Final score 10-18.A gallant effort by Burnhambut didn't take enough advantage of the strong wind and unfortunately were considerably outweighed by the O.B's pack..Well done Burnham,you upheld your honour but it has to be said that O.b's deserved their victory.

Burnham on Sea  16 vs  Wellington 12

Burnham emerged winners in a hard fought contest played in bitterly cold conditions in front of a good sized crowd following the Old Boys and Sponsors Reunion lunch.For the first 20 minutes neither side could find a way through until Burnham were awarded a penalty for wellington were punished for not retiring after a clearing kick.From the resultant scrum Jordyn Wikiteria picked up from the base of the scrum to crash through 3 Wellington tackles before diving over the line.Conway converted.7-0.Ten minutes later Wellington were caught offside in their own 22.Conway obliged.10-0.ln the second half Wellington started to exert pressure on Burnham's defence until Burnham were penalised for not rolling away.Wellington chose to take a scrum and pushed Burnham back to score a pushover try claimed by Danny Lee,converted by Matt Parsons.10-7.Followed by a spell of poor concentration by Burnham allowing Lee the opportunity to run through some ineffectual tackling and cross the line.10-12.Burnham took the lead again when Wellington were caught offside.Conway duly obliged.13-12 and shortly before time Conway added to his tally another penalty when Wellington were penalised for not rolling away.Final score 16-12.Well done Burnham.

Burnham 1sts 21 vs Bristol Harlequins 10

Constant pressure by Burnham in the first 10 minutes culminated in a well constructed team try..Many hands and efficient recycling,notably Dickens,Chase,Muskett, Conway,McKechan and Love eventually releasing Russell Pike to cut through,round the fullback and score under the posts.Conway converted.7-0.

20 minutes letter, after a spell of pressure from Harlequins,Burnham turned over the ball,Dickens strong in the tackle,Chase snaffled the ball,released Matt Love to speed down the wing,rounding the opposition to score under the posts.Conway added the extras.14-0.

3 minutes later Harlequins won a penalty line out, gathered the ball in,set off on a rolling maul,lost control,whereupon Jordan Wikipedia picked up the ball and raced 95 metres,evading two tackles on the way to score out wide.Conway duly obliged.21-0.Halftime.

Unfortunately for Burnham they got sucked into an arm wrestle in the second half,playing into Harlequins hands.Firstly Burnham were caught offside,21-3,followed by Harlequins pouncing on a poor pass allowing their outside centre to kick through and win the race to touchdown.21-10.The rest of the match fizzled out as neither side were able to claim sufficient advantage to turn into points.

Bart Rugby 1st XV 14  Burnham 1st XV  27.

Burnham travelled to an awkward place  and came away with a comfortable  victory.
Burnham started well forcing Bart into conceding a penalty, duly converted by Conway. 0-3.Barts fought back, keeping Burnham pinned in their own 22,after a series of penalties the referee awarded Bart a penalty try.7-3
Back came Burnham and after Jack Pope had a  jinking run, supported by Wikitera, Burnham recycled twice before Alex Chase crashed  over. 7-8 Burnham started the second half with strong intentions quickly forcing Bart to concede two penalties, both offside, both  converted by Conway. 7-14. However this was swiftly  followed by Bart being awarded a  penalty line out, which they won, before recycling to cross the  line.14-14.From this point on Burnham took a stranglehold on the  game, catching  Bart offside, Conway converting 14-17,followed by Burnham turning over Bart ball before releasing Beau Dickens to swap  passes with Pope before scoring under the posts. 14-24. Just before the end Conway added another penalty to round of the match 14-27. Well done Burnham.

Burnham on Sea  37 vs  Avon 19

Burnham moved up to fifth in their league after recording a consummate victory against their Bath based opponents,but as they say a game of two halves.Nip and tuck for the first 10 minutes until Pike gained good ground before Burnham recycled twice,out to Muskett to create space for Matt Love to muscle over in the corner.Conway converted.7-0.Avon responded straight away when Burnham were penalised for a high tackle.7-3.Back came Burnhamto land a penalty through Conway.10-3.Avon retaliated with another penalty,to close the gap.10-6.However with Burnham being one man down,sinbin,Avongained sufficient momentum to take a quick penalty,whisked out wide to score in corner.10-14.In the second half Burnham upped the momentum and after pressurising Avon Pike slotted a neat grubber kick through the gap for Jack Pope to race throgh and touch down in the corner.15-14.Burnham kept up the pressure and after a quick tap penalty the ball was whipped out to Love to score in the corner.20-14.Next an Avon charge was halted by Burnham's pack,collected by Wikiteria who rocketed up the centre before timing the perfect pass for Beau Kickens to finish off.25-14.Avon tried to cre some pressure but a promising move was snuffed out when Muskett read the play,intercepted,shipped it on to Wickens who promptly spotted Love steaming up on the outside to claim his hattrick.30-14.Avon were not quite finished and after a penalty lineout they produced two quick phases to score out wide.Burnham ,however,had the last word  exerting enough pressure to allow Pope to wriggle through the defence before ooadroitly offloading to Russell Pike to crown a man of the match performance and score close to the posts.Conway converted 37-19.Final whistle.A strong,vibrant exhibition by Burnham,showing what they can do when they rally try.Good performances from Sam and Eddy Lewis,pope and of course Jordyn"rhino"Wikiteria.Well done Burnham.

Chew Valley  15 vs  Burnham on Sea 10

Burnham travelled up country to play in a hard fought match they could have won,but unfortunately those old companions,ill-disciplines and indifferent lineouts,reared their ugly heads.From the start Chew Valley pressed hard but Burnham's superb defence kept them at bay for 30 minutes until after a shabby lineout Chew Valley were awarded a scrum,drove forward before releasing their backs who created sufficient space for their outside centre to burst through.7-0.Burnham not to be denied and 4 minutes later they won their own scrum,completed three successful phases before releasing "Rhino" on a full charge.scattering defenders in his own inimitable way before offloading to his Kiwi compatriot Beau Wickens ti complete the move Piper converted.7-7.Halftime.Early in the second half Burnham conceded a free-kick for a lineout misdemeanour allowing Chew Valley to use their backs,recycle twicw before reversing back down the line for the left winger to score out wide.12-7.15 minutes later Burnham transgressed again,hands in the scrum,15-7.Even though Burnham did their utmost to get back into the game the only reward they got was they forced Chew Valley into conceding a penalty giving Piper the opportunity to reduce the arrears therby gaining a losing bonus point.Final score 15-10.Hard luck Burnham.It may seem harsh to pick up on their hiccoughs but a little more diligence and this will be a tough team to beat.Burnham next play North Petherton on Wed.30th away in the Somerset Cup kickoff 7-30pm.

Burnham on Sea 24 vs Whitehall 14

Burnham's emerging side showed that they are beginning to gel in more and more departments,unfortunately not the lineouts but elsewhere everything is looking considerably sharper and this was achieved against a much larger team.Burnham set the ball rolling after catching Whitehall offside just 4 minutes into the game with Tim Piper duly amassing the points.3-0.With the game ebbing and flowing for a while Pope received the ball just inside Whitehall's half,ste off with pace agility to allow Burnham to create successful phases before Alec Chase crashed over out wide.Piper converted.10-0.On the stroke of halftime Whitehall put together a series of rucks and mauls before creating an overlap for the fullback to crossthe line.10-7.HalftimeFor 20 minutes of the second half neither side to gain the ascendancy until Burnham created a marvellous team try with both forwards and backs involved until Danny Spelman was left the outside line to round the opposition and score under the posts.Piper added the extras.17-7.However Whitehall were not to be denied and Burnham had conceded too mnay penalties they produced sufficient good ball to score out wide 17-14.For the rest of the game Burnham's scrum increasingly gained the upper handnad on a Whitehall scrum7 metres from their own line Burnham smashed them backwards at a rate of knots to reclaim the ball enabling Jordan"Rhino"Wikiteria to take advantage and cross the line.Piper converted 24-14.Game over.An exhilarating game with both sides playing their part,but eventually Burnham's superior fitness and support play overcame all obstacles.Well done Burnham.Next week Burnham are awoy to Chew Valley kickoff 3pm.

Gordano  17 vs  Burnham on Sea 22

Burnham travelled to Gordano with a slightly makeshift side but only proved that there plenty of players to step up to the mark.Gordano started the better of the two teams with Burnham struggling to clear their lines and eventually conceded a try from a catch and drive move that culminated in the ball being whipped out to the backs for the winger to cut  inside and score under the posts.7-0.Ten minutes later Burnham produced their own catch and drive from a penalty lineout so that Luke Gowan was able to claim the try.7-5. Straight from the kickoff burnham set up a series of rucks and mauls before Wikiteria burst through to offload for Alex Chase to record his first try for the club.Josh Holder converted.7-12.Halftime.Burnham kept up the pressure and 20 minutes into the second half they forced Gordano into a mistake,kicked the penalty into touch before gathering the linout and rumbling over for Ross McKechan to score 7-17.Unfortunately with a combination of poor handling and loss of concentration they allowed Gordano back into the game 12-17.However Burnham were not to be denied and ,eventually,after a clutch of recycling the ball was fed out Ashley Tucker to scamper down the wing showing strength and ability to score out wide.12-22.Gordano managed to stay in the game with a quickly taken penalty catching Burnham half asleep 17-22.Final score. A worthy victory for Burnham who showed great determination,good support play and nobody lost their head.Still giving away too many penalties but they toughed it out for the 80 minutes with the help of some good substitutions,Jake Allen for instance.Well played Burnham,who are at home this coming Saturday to Whitehall.Kickoff 3pm.

Burnham on Sea  10 vs  Keynsham 12

Burnham's first match of the season didn't go according to plan.Keynsham attacked strongly for the first 20 minutes forcing Burnham into conceding penalties,for which they were punished twice.0-6.Almost immediately afterwards Keynsham kicked deep into Burnham's territory only to find Russell Pike perfectly placed to return the kick with interest,follow up,judge the bounce immaculately to cross the line.Tim Piper converted.7-6.Just before halftime Burnham conceded a scrum infringement to enable Keynsham to go into the break leading 7-9.In the second half Burnham were awarded a penalty when Keynsham were caught offside giving Piper the opportunity make it 10-9.For the next 30 minutes neither side were able to make the breakthrough until just before the end of the game Burnham's ill-discipline cost them another kickable penalty to hand victory to Keynsham.10-12.Positives and negatives.Burnham's defence was paramount only to be counterbalanced by the number of penalties the gave away 20+.Mentions.The backs whose determination,especially Beau Dickens,not to allow their line to be crossed.Disappointing result,however some pleasing aspects.This coming Saturday Burnham are away to Gordano kickoff 3pm.

Click here to see match reports from 2014-2015 season


Website Decision Power ©2013